2016 started off on a bad note for me but I am happy to say I am ending it better than I started it. How does one know whether its been a good year or a bad year? For me and others I have seen blogging about the end of 2016; it’s about counting the successes, achievements and new beginnings during the year over the failures, disappointments and closures. That is how you can say ” I had a good 2016/ I had a bad 2016″.
Looking back to how my 2016 has gone, I can say on the whole, it was a good year. Here’s why:
- Got a prestigious scholarship at the beginning of the year to study for my PhD
- Moved to Asia, currently loving the city of Hong Kong where I am based. Learning to be part of a different society full of exciting opportunities for growth
- Solidified my relationship with God which is an important part of my life. Found a Christian church where I am happy in fellowship with other God-fearing people.
These were all moments of happiness and celebration. My life basically revolves around my ambitions, my family and my God.
You will notice that I only had three successes to note. These are just the BIG moments I had in 2016. But, I want to add that every single day that I was above ground was a success, every day I was healthy, had a roof over my head, food and shelter…was a SUCCESS. We tend to focus more on the big things and the things we take for granted are HUGE because if I was not alive or healthy I would not be able to experience the big successes that I had #foodforthought
I also had disappointments and moments where I had to close chapters. I lost friends but earned new ones as well. I have to state that, new friends do not replace old ones because everyone has their role to play in your life. I cherish the lessons in every experience I have had with anyone that is no longer a part of my inner circle. I am once again also separated from my family, but that is the story of my life.
Here are a few lessons I learnt in this year:
- Loyalty is everything. Your word is your bond and if you are a disloyal person you erode your own conscience.
- If you want something bad enough PRAY, WORK, PRAY!!! that’s my formula and it works.
- Forgiveness frees you…let it go!!!
- When you are angry, think about whether the situation will matter in 5 days, 5 months or 5 years. If not,then pick your battles.
It’s 2 days to my birthday as we enter into 2017. I look forward to a beautiful year and more good things. My goal for 2017 is to learn Mandarin and explore different parts of Asia.
Peace and love…and Happy New Year!!