I wanted to sit this one out today, only because the concept of country and home has been confusing for me. I am a blogger born in one country but living in another. So I thought, do I write about bloggers in the country where I am living in or my country of origin. Sticking to my roots, I decided to write about five bloggers from Zimbabwe, the country of my birth. There are many talented writers coming out of the teapot-shaped country and I do like to keep up with news and stories of home even though I am away. So here are my five bloggers from Zimbabwe:
- Becoming the Muse by Beaton. I like how he opens up his posts with “If you were having coffee with me…” which always makes me feel like I am sitting down with him and getting an update on what has been going on in Zimbabwe. He also writes some fascinating book reviews regularly. I have gotten some interesting must-reads from reading his book reviews. He is definitely a blogger you want to follow if you are not already doing so.
- Review with Nash by Tinashe. I recently got to know about Tinashe and his blog when he did a bloggers excel where he interviewed some bloggers in Zimbabwe about how they started blogging and a couple of other interesting questions. You can read my interview HERE. His writing is relatable and has made for enjoyable reading.
- Makaita Rogue by Makaita. Once in a while, I like to go to Makaita’s blog and get lost in her short stories. She is an amazing writer with a vivid imagination. I love how she is unapologetic and embraces her feminism quite boldly. She also comments on social issues in a satirical way. In my opinion, she is one of the best creatives we have in the Zimbabwean blogging scene.
- Basic Girl by Rudo. Basic girl writes in such a simple, but engaging way. I love love her graphics, which often include some popular gifs. You can find short stories and poetry on her blog. She hopes to one day be a screenwriter, well I think she is doing well if her short stories are anything to go by. Do visit her blog and read some for yourself.
- Makupsy by Mercy, also known as fitness bae. She is one of the first Zimbabwean blogs I followed when I started seriously reading more blogs by African writers. Through her blog, I was able to get to know other bloggers who are based in Zimbabwe. I love how she engages with her readers and her ability to write about any topic. She writes about relationships, culture, travelling around the country which kinda makes me homesick, but I appreciate it so much. As an award-winning blogger, she also sometimes gives tips about blogging. I have learnt a lot from her blog over the years.
That’s it for my five blogs coming out of Zimbabwe. I will just mention that the list is by no means an exhaustive one as there are so many amazing bloggers that I have not included here and I hope to see many more coming up. Please take the time to visit and follow each and every one of these blogs, you will not regret it.